JavaScript is turned off in your web browser. Turn it on to take full advantage of this site, then refresh the page.


Who is eligible to vote?
You are eligible to vote in any election if on the day of election:
  • you are at least 18 years of age.
  • you are a citizen of the United States.
  • you are not incarcerated or on parole for a 
  • felony conviction.
  • you are properly registered.  You must be registered at least 15 days before an election to vote in that election. To receive a sample ballot, 

  • you must be registered 29 days before an election.
Where do you register?
You can register at:
  • city government buildings, City Clerk's office, County Registrar of Voters office, DMV.
  • any fire station.
  • special registration booths set up by volunteers prior to elections.
  • your convenience, with "Register by Mail Postcards" available at such places as post offices, city halls, community centers and libraries. 
  • your computer, download registration form
When must you re-register?
California has permanent registration.  Once you have registered, you need to register again only if:
  • you have moved.*
  • you wish to change your party affiliation.
  • you have changed your name and wish to vote under your new name.
  • you fail to vote at a statewide General Election (held in November of even-numbered years) and fail to return the postcard sent by the County Registrar of Voters after the election.
*Special notes:
Prior to statewide primary elections, re-registration for some (but not all) voters moving within Alameda County is done for the voter by the County Registrar, based on information supplied to them by the Post Office. If, after you first register, you move within the county and if you receive a notice from the Registrar of Voters stating that they have changed your registration to your new address, you do not have to re-register. If in doubt, call the Registrar's office at 272-6933.
If you discover when you go to your polling place on the day of the election that your registration has been cancelled because of Post Office error, you may sign a "continuous residency oath," stating that you have not moved from the address at which you were last registered, and be allowed to vote.

Where do you vote? 
What will be on the ballot?
Before each election, registered voters will receive in the mail a sample ballot, and absentee ballot application, a notice listing the precinct number and address of their polling place, and information  on the issues to be voted on in the coming election. Some material is written in Spanish, Chinese and English. Additional material is available in Spanish upon request.

How do you vote absentee?
Voting by absentee is an option for everyone.  You don't need to be out of town or handicapped.  If you would like to vote by absentee ballot, you should either write a letter requesting an absentee ballot or return the absentee ballot application (received with your sample ballot at least 7 days before election day) to:
 Alameda County Registrar of Voters
 1225 Fallon Street
 Oakland, CA  94612

What do you do if you have just moved?
Registration closes 15 days before each election.  If you have moved anywhere within California within 29 days of any election and are validly registered at your previous address, you may vote by returning to your former precinct or by absentee ballot.  If you become 
a new citizen or new resident of California less than 29 days before a General Election and wish to vote for President and Vice President of the U.S., you may do so if you register in person at the Alameda County Registrar of Voters' office, 1225 Fallon St., Oakland. This must be done at least 7 days prior to the election.